Sunday, January 11, 2009

First trip to the Mara






I really could not have thought of a better way to start 2009 than being in the beautiful savannah with all the amazing Free the Children and me to we staff from Toronto. We started the night with a feast of lamb, goat, chicken and all kinds of vegetables. A dj was hired and we danced and danced.

The highlight of my night came when the Kenyan boys choir performed for us right at our new home. They were amazing singers, dancers and just all around performers. The only instruments they used were a set of homemade drums and their voices. The final song in their set was O Canada, which made me a tad emotional for the first time ever. I m not sure whether it was the beauty of the moment or just knowing that I won’t be back in Canada for a long time… anyway… it was great.

Of the whole staff trip, all the animals we saw, and people we met, I learned the most from the mommas of Emori Joi community. They met us at the school (one of the nearby FTC built schools), and took us to their houses to show how the community members live. Their huts are made mostly of cow dung, dirt, mud and sticks. There is little ventilation and many families share their small and smoky accommodations with goats and chickens. One woman we met is part of a womans group formed in partnership with the alternative income projects through the adopt a village program (more to follow). Because of her involvement, and micro loans that her group members put together, she has been able to build a family structure out of brick, which lasts much longer than the traditional structure, and allows her and her family to live separate from the fire and cooking, which can help prevent respiratory illness.




After the tour of the homes, the mamas invited us to make a very familiar walk with them, down to their water source, the mara river. This is a trip that is about 2 km each way, and on an average day, they might make that trip anywhere from 5-7 times (not too mention one direction each time with an extremely heavy jerry can strapped to their head). The water that we saw was not a pleasing sight. Right next to where they are taking their water, there are children bathing, women doing laundry, donkeys deficating… it really is a dire situation. The need for proper sanitation and clean water is incredible. As my new friend Lois strapped a filled jerry can to my head, I was overwhelmed by the daily activities of these excellent women. I walked it back to one of their homes, dripping sweat and losing feeling all throughout my neck and back… I can’t believe that they or their daughters do this so often. I will never again take the water that pours free from my taps at home for granted.


No comments:

Post a Comment