Monday, May 4, 2009

round one with daisy

WOW. time is FLYING in Kenya.

It has been a looooong time since i have written... a lot has happened as well.

One of the places we visit with guests from Canada is called the giraffe centre. It is a place where they are attempting to repopulate the Rothschild giraffe... it was very close to extinction in the 1970s... the numbers had reached around only 100 left in the wild. Since its opening, the numbers of Rothschild giraffes have increased to almost 500.

The centre serves as educational resource for local schools, and a place to come play, feed, and pet the giraffes.

So i went to the centre with my last group... we were having a great time, and I was just trying to snap a sweet pic of "Flat Stanley" with Daisy, the big MAMA giraffe... the guide there warned me to only get close to Daisy if i had pellets to feed him. I was stubborn, and thought that nothing would happen to me... but.. just as my friend Cameron tried to snap the pic, Daisy swung her head furiously towards mine.

Although i have cat like reflexes (hehe), i didn't react in enough time, and she drilled me right in the forehead with hers... I didn't pass out, but for a second i thought i might... my group had just met me, and didn't really know how to react, my eyes were watering like crazy, and all i could do was laugh... so really I think it was a good ice breaker for us.

I had a gooseegg, the biggest one i have ever had right over my right eye.

funny. I will go back to even the score this week, i will tell you how it goes.

talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment